Long Yang Club (LYC) was founded in the mid 1980’s as a social club for gay Asian and Westerners to integrate at a variety of social events within London. The club quickly established itself on the London scene as a friendly and welcoming social club, organising dinners and parties. In the 1990’s, LYC’s weekly Sunday karaoke and social nights became well known and much loved; its Bank Holiday parties were legendary!
In recent years and with changing attitudes, LYC has now evolved primarily into a badminton club. We have a credible and winning league team and our annual tournament is an established part of the badminton calendar within the UK, which is open for anyone to participate. We offer free coaching to members, and also organise social events throughout the year for the benefit of our members. It’s a great place to enjoy the company of others in an LGBT+ friendly environment, make new friends, play badminton and share a drink or a meal after playing.
Since April 2016, we have benefited from the sponsorship of the Royal Borough of Kensington and Chelsea (RBKC). We are very thankful to the RBKC for their support and look forward to further developing a relationship. So far, the Royal Borough’s sponsorship has allowed us to:
- Secure a regular Sunday 3-6pm slot at KLC
- Reduce our annual membership fee from £12 to £10
- Reduce our weekly court fee from £8 to £6
- Reduce our visitor fee from £10 to £8
- Offer Royal Borough residents a concession fee of £5
- Offer all players aged 50 and over a concession fee of £5
- Offer all payers unlimited feather shuttles for their games, irrespective of their level
- Subsidise our July fun tournament